Light Up Livingston
A Phased Approach
- Phase I (complete): The New York State Broadband Program Office awarded funding to Hughes Network Systems and Armstrong Telephone to expand high-speed internet in southern Livingston County.
- Phase II (in progress): This phase is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for a Rural eConnectivity (ReConnect) grant. Livingston County was awarded through the second round of funding from this source and on the maps, this is referred to as the "Awarded ReConnect Areas." A public-private partnership was formed between Livingston County and Empire Access. Empire Access will own and operate hundreds of miles of a fiber-optic network that will offer reliable, high-speed Internet access to approximately 1,118 addresses in Livingston County. Upon completion, those located on the network will have access to 1 Gigabit-level Internet service. More information on pricing and availability can be found at www.empireaccess.com/livingston.
- Phase III (pending grant award): Livingston County and Empire Access applied to the National Telecommunication and Information Administration (NTIA) for grant funding. If awarded, this NTIA project will provide high-speed internet access to approximately 3,356 addresses in Livingston County. This application was filed in August 2021.
- Phase IV (pending grant award): Through the same USDA ReConnect grant program that Phase II was funded through, Livingston County and Empire Access partnered again for an application to provide high-speed internet access to about 4,622 addresses in Livingston County. This application was filed on March 9, 2022.
Will There be Future Phases?
Yes! The 'Light Up Livingston' initiative is a phased approach where the county is leveraging grant opportunities as they become available. Right now, there are several funding sources under consideration and grant applications pending. Stay tuned for more information about future broadband expansion.
To find out about broadband grants, click on the buttons in the web application above:
Blue: Legend (More information becomes visible as the user zooms in)
Green: Livingston County Base Data Layers
Orange: Grants awarded data layers
Brown: Grants applied for data layers
Grey: 2019 County Broadband Survey Data: internet service providers as reported.
Click here Version OptionsLight Up LivingstonHeadline to view the Livingston County broadband web application on a separate web page.
Click here Version OptionsLight Up LivingstonHeadline to view a .pdf map showing the same information.
When will high speed internet be available at my address?
Please visit the providers' websites for availability, pricing and timing of installation:
- Phase I: Visit the New York State Broadband website or Armstrong website.
- Phase II: Visit the Empire Access website or click here to view a map of the phasing plan.
- Phase III: Pending grant award
- Phase IV: Pending grant award
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here Version OptionsLight Up LivingstonHeadline for FAQs associated with the 'Light Up Livingston' initiative.
This webpage will be updated regularly as current phases progress and future phases of 'Light Up Livingston' take shape. For more information on the 'Light Up Livingston' initiative, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 585-243-7550. We're happy to gather more information from citizens about internet speeds, availability and the progress of this project.
New York State Broadband Assessment Program
The New York State Department of Public Service has engaged ECC Technologies, Inc. to complete a comprehensive broadband-focused project in New York State.
The project includes the mapping and documentation of broadband infrastructure and services in New York State, which will provide interactive access, at an address level, to information on broadband infrastructure, services, competition, and adoption statewide.
Residents and businesses are encouraged to complete a questionnaire at www.empirestatebroadband.com to support the project.