Section 8 Housing
QualificationsYou may qualify if your total annual household income is not over a set limit, as defined below:
|Household Size||Annual Gross Income|
How the Program Works
- Application - You complete the preliminary application and are placed on a waiting list.
- Notification - You are
responsible to notifythe housing office of all changes while on the waiting list. These changes would include such things as household composition, address, and income changes.
- Enrollment - After the waiting list time period you are contacted to attend an enrollment interview where your eligibility is determined and you receive information on how the program works and how to obtain housing that is affordable to you and suited to your needs.
- Certification - If you are eligible, you will receive a Housing Choice Voucher to verify your potential to participate in the program.
- Housing Selection - You find a place within 60 days that meets Housing Quality Standard and affordability limits. Your present dwelling may qualify.
- Negotiation - You come to an agreement with the landlord on lease terms.
- Agency Review - The agency evaluates the affordability of your housing and inspects the dwelling to make sure they meet program standards and the Department of Housing and Urban Development Homestore (HUD) Housing Quality Standards.
- Payments - The agency will pay directly to your landlord part of your rent each month based on a payment standard. You are obligated to pay the rest.
- Annual Recertifications and Interim Changes - Each program participant must have annual recertifications and annual housing inspections. Any and all changes in income, family composition, etc. must be reported immediately.
Federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or disability. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your civil rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint. Click on the seal above to be directed to the online complaint system.
For more information contact:
HUD regional Office: (800) 496-4294
Livingston County Fair Housing Officer: (585) 243-7300 Commissioner of Social Services