Section 8 Housing
|Annual Gross Income||$33,250||$38,000||$42,750||$47,500||$51,300||$55,100||$58,900|
- Application - Complete the preliminary application to be placed on the wait list.
- Notification - Notify the housing office of all changes while on the wait list. These changes include: household composition, address, phone number and income changes.
- Enrollment – When contacted, complete an enrollment interview and eligibility determination. More information on the program is provided at that time.
- Certification - If eligible, you will receive a Housing Choice Voucher.
- Housing Selection - You then have 60 days to find housing that meets the set standards and affordability limits. Your present dwelling may qualify.
- Negotiation – Agree on lease terms with your landlord.
- Agency Review - Affordability of the housing and an inspection of the dwelling is completed.
- Payments – The landlord receives a predetermined portion of your rent each month from Section 8. You are obligated to pay the rest.
- Annual Recertifications and Interim Changes - Annual recertifications and housing inspections are required. Any and all changes in income, family composition, etc. must be reported immediately.
The role of the landlord is to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent.
To be approved for Section 8 payments, landlords need to do the following:
- Pass HUD Housing Quality Standards inspection
- Verify legal ownership of rental premises
- Verify rent amount
- Complete W-9
- Provide direct deposit banking information
- Contract with Public Housing Authority (PHA)
- Complete landlord section of the Request for Tenancy Approval form
Livingston County has funds available to help with Section 8 Security Deposits and Landlord Incentive Payments are available to eligible landlords who enter into a lease agreement with a Section 8 voucher holder. Click here to read the frequently asked questions on these incentives.
For more information contact:
HUD regional Office: (800) 496-4294
New York State Dept. of Human Rights: (844) 862-8703
Livingston County Fair Housing Officer: (585) 243-7300 Commissioner of Social Services