Here are some common types of records and where to get them.
Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates
- These records are kept with the town or village clerk where the event occurred or license was issued. Certificates are generally available from 1881-present. See contact information for the towns and villages in Livingston County.
- Contact the County Historian if you are unsure where to look.
Divorces, Adoptions, Civil and Criminal Actions, DBAs, Judgments, Liens, etc.
For all court records, please contact the County Clerk. For wills and probate records, contact the Surrogate Court Clerk's Office. For county police records, contact the Livingston County Sheriff's Office.
Historical Court Records
Some records have been made available online; for all others, contact the Livingston County Clerk.
Health and Safety Records
Environmental, Water, and Restaurant Inspections, Septic Systems, Site Inspections, Etc.
- For most kinds of inspections related to public health and environmental health and safety, contact the Environmental Health department, part of the Livingston County Department of Health.
- For certain medical records, please see this page from the NYS Department of Health for more information.
Genealogy, Local History, etc.
Visit the County Historian's website for online resources and contact information for all your history questions. Holdings include: census, cemetery, church records, maps, photos, reference books and files, special collections, and much more.
- All land deeds, mortgages, and some survey maps 1821-present are kept at the Livingston County Clerk's Office.
- Deeds before 1821 may be found at other counties - contact the County Historian with questions.
- For military discharges, contact the County Clerk. For assistance locating other recent military documents, contact Livingston County Veterans Services.
- For older military records and information, contact the County Historian's Office.
- For naturalizations from 1821-1954, contact the County Historian's Office. Certification from the County Clerk may be possible.
- For naturalizations after 1954, visit the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) search page.
- For copies of your own paperwork, submit a FOIL request to the USCIS.
Motor Vehicle Accident Reports, Reports/Complaints, Arrests, Summons, Subpoenas, etc.
- For county sheriff's records, contact the Livingston County Sheriff's Office.
- For all other local police records, contact the specific department.
Tax and Assessment Records
- For county tax receipts and records, contact the County Treasurer's Office.
- For town and village tax records and assessments, contact your town or village.
- For current tax maps and other assessment-related questions, you may contact County Real Property Tax Services.