GENESEO, N.Y., Nov. 22, 2022 — Livingston County is encouraging all residents to “put your money where your heart is” and support local businesses and communities by shopping local this Small Business Saturday and holiday season.
The County offers a number of resources for local businesses and shoppers to highlight the importance of buying local. According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, when consumers spend $100 at a small business, $48 stays in the community. The same $100 spent at a big-box store or national retailer keeps only $14 in the community.
“Shopping local keeps your dollars here in Livingston County supporting your friends, neighbors and the communities where we live,” said Bill Bacon, Livingston County’s Director of Economic Development. “When you shop at a small business this Saturday, you’re not just investing in the business, you’re investing in yourself and your community. You’re helping your neighbors keep their jobs, and you may even be helping to create new local jobs. The bottom line is when we shop local, we all benefit.”
The County has a number of tips for supporting local businesses and communities this holiday season:
- Get vocal on social. Post pictures, tweets, and status updates of either the small business you own, or of yourself shopping at one, and be sure to use the hashtag #ShopSmall. Also, write positive Yelp reviews for the small businesses you love and support.
- Sign up for local businesses’ loyalty programs. Does a local business have a customer loyalty and rewards program? Sign up for it – not only will you be supporting a local business, but you’ll get discounts and rewards for it, too.
- Commit to doing one small thing for a favored small business each week, whether a purchase or a shout-out. Supporting small businesses each week will not only give you peace of mind but will be helping the owners and the economy.
- Buy gift cards. You may not use the gift cards right away, but the revenue from these sales is a huge help to small businesses at this critical time. And, it’s a promise that you’ll continue to be a customer later.
- Tip generously. Tips are even more important right now to support small business workers who might have lost hours as in-house service shut down.
- Tell a family member or friend about a small business you love. Use word of mouth to support your favorite small businesses. Your family members or friends will likely trust and remember them more if it is shared personally.
For more on how to support local businesses this holiday season and information on the many shops in Livingston County, please visit https://www.visitlivco.com/plan-your-visit/shop-livco/.
Stay up-to-date with the latest news, events and more by following Livingston County on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn.
About Livingston County:
Founded in 1821, Livingston County, N.Y., is comprised of more than 61,000 residents in 17 towns located across 631 square miles of the Finger Lakes region.