GENESEO, N.Y., Dec. 7, 2022 – Every year, hundreds of people die and thousands are injured from unsuspected exposure to an odorless, colorless gas—carbon monoxide (CO). Studies by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that, while people recognize CO gas is poisonous, they perceive CO as less dangerous than other household hazards.
CO poisoning is most prevalent when furnaces are turned back on to fight cold winter temperatures, but also commonly occur after summer and winter storms. It can also happen during power outages, when people tend to rely on portable generators for electricity.
Here are some simple steps to protect yourselves and your family:
- Install battery-operated CO detectors near every sleeping area in your home.
- Check CO detectors regularly to be sure they are functioning properly.
- Have gas or oil furnaces inspected by a qualified professional every year.
- Never use a generator inside the home or garage, even if doors and windows are open.
- Only use generators and power washers outside, more than 20 feet away from the home, doors and windows.
- Never use a charcoal grill inside the home.
For more information about carbon monoxide poisoning and how to prevent it, please call the Livingston County Department of Health or call 585-243-7280.
Stay up-to-date with the latest news, events and more by following Livingston County on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn.
About Livingston County:
Founded in 1821, Livingston County, N.Y., is comprised of more than 61,000 residents in 17 towns located across 631 square miles of the Finger Lakes region.