MOUNT MORRIS, N.Y., December 13, 2023 — As the winter season ramps up, the Livingston County Office of Emergency Management is urging residents to take steps now to prepare for inclement weather.
Andrew Brodell, Director of the Livingston County Office of Emergency Management, stated, “In light of the potential for extreme cold, snowstorms, freezing rain and strong winds that our region often experiences during a typical winter, we’re recommending all County residents take steps now to prepare themselves and stay safe.”
To equip residents for potential winter storms and the power outages that can result, the New York State Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Services (DHSES) suggests that residents have on-hand the following in-home supplies:
- Flashlights with extra batteries
- Battery-operated radio and extra batteries
- Emergency non-perishable foods that do not require refrigeration
- Non-electric can opener
- Bottled water
- One week supply of essential medicines
- Extra blankets and sleeping bags
- First aid kit with comprehensive instructions
- Fire extinguishers
- Properly used emergency heating equipment
DHSES also recommends practicing proper home winterization methods, such as protecting water pipes from freezing, sealing up drafty windows and doors, servicing generators and protecting outdoor faucets from weather extremes. To further prepare your home for a safe winter:
- Have your furnace serviced within proper regular intervals
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned, as necessary
- Check your fire extinguishers and re-educate yourself on their usage
Prepare vehicles for safe winter travel by:
- Keeping fuel tanks at least half full
- Checking tires for proper tread and pressure
- Dressing warmly when traveling and keeping gloves and hat stored in vehicle
- Planning for additional travel time during inclement weather
For more information, visit the Livingston County Office of Emergency Management website or call (585) 243-7160.
Stay up-to-date with the latest news, events and more by following Livingston County on X, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn.
About Livingston County:
Founded in 1821, Livingston County, N.Y., is home to more than 61,000 residents in 17 towns located across 631 square miles of the Finger Lakes region.