How do I ask for restitution?

You should contact the DA's office and advise them of the extent of your injury, your out-of-pocket losses and the amount of damages you are requesting. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to give the police, DA and upon request, the local probation department copies of the bills and other documents showing the extent of your injuries, your out-of-pocket losses and the amount of damages you want considered by the Court!  Your claim for restitution will be included in any probation investigation report (pre-sentence, pre-plea or pre-disposition report).  Be sure to: 1. Keep accurate records such as original receipts of any expenses you have as a direct result of the criminal offense. 2. Give copies of these receipts to the police, DA and local probation department. 3. You need to clearly explain your need for restitution as soon as possible to the DA, the victim/witness advocate, and the probation department.  Unless waived by mutual consent, plea agreements can occur within days of the actual criminal offense. If this information is not provided before sentencing, you may have to pursue reimbursement of your losses in Civil Court.  4. In most felony criminal cases, many misdemeanor criminal cases and all juvenile delinquency and persons in need of supervision (PINS) cases, a pre-sentence or predisposition investigation report is required. The local probation department will contact you about the issue of restitution as it pertains to your case.

Show All Answers

1. I am a victim and I misplaced the Victim Impact Statement sent to me. How do I find another one?
2. I am a victim, how do I change my address?
3. What is restitution?
4. Who is entitled to restitution?
5. How do I ask for restitution?
6. How is restitution ordered?
7. How is restitution determined?
8. Are minors (juveniles) ordered to pay restitution?
9. Do I have any legal rights as a crime victim? Do different victims have different rights?
10. The police and DA have my property. They say they need it as evidence. When can I get my things back?
11. Do I have the right to know what is happening to the person accused of committing the crime against me?
12. I wish the person who committed this crime could understand what it has done to my life and the lives of my loved ones. How can I explain this to him/her?
13. I am afraid of the person who committed the crime against me. How can I be protected?
14. When can I expect to receive my restitution money?
15. What services does Office of Victim Services provide victims?
16. Who may be eligible for compensation from the Office of Victim Services?
17. What kinds of expenses may I get compensated for by the Office of Victim Services?
18. What if my property was lost, damaged or destroyed because of the crime?
19. What are the steps to receive Office of Victim Services (OVS) compensation?
20. Are there other ways I can be compensated for my losses related to the crime?